Monday 14 January 2013

Protein Bar vs Energy Bar

Some of us may have confusions on what is a protein bar and how does it differ from an energy bar. Well, I used to have those confusions too.

For me, from the way I look at it, its basically the timing and purpose of you taking such 'supplements'. Well, lets start from the definition of it...what is a protein? Generally, protein is what your body needs to recover the torn muscles as a result of an intense workout as well as to build muscles. And to maintain the muscles, our body needs at least 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Simple rule guys..NO PROTEIN = NO MUSCLE!!

Now, what is an energy bar? It simply means a supplement consumed to provide you with energy. And what is one of the fastest source of energy? Yes...SUGAR! Sugar can be a useful ingredient if and only if our body utilizes it immediately as a source of energy. So, for you guys serious dieters out there, watch out for the sugar content and I strongly recommend you to take energy bars only when you need them to provide you with the energy which you will be using during your workouts. And I suggest that you consume them before your workout.

Whereas for protein bars, you can consume them at any time of the day whenever you feel hungry or you feel like munching on something. However, make sure you go for protein bars with high content of protein and low in carbs and sugar. I personally have tried the CarbRite LowCarb Diet Bar, Cookie Dough, 12 Bars, From Universal Nutrition. It is a sugar-free protein bar and therefore would really benefit you guys who are on a strict diet. Another protein bar which I've tried is Train Fortifx Nutritional Bar, Triple Choc Deluxe, 2.95 Pound (Pack of 12) . This is a SUPER-DELICIOUS protein bar and let me warn you that the Train Fortifx Nutritional Bar, Caramel Peanut, 2.95 Pound (Pack of 12) really really taste like Snickers man! So, it can be quite addictive guys! Good luck! Haha. It contains 30g of protein per bar and 6g of sugar.

I do not consume any energy bar, simply because I prefer to go for something liquid which can provide me with the instant (solid food takes longer to digest) amount of sugar which I'll use as a source of energy during my workouts or football games (i.e. Redbull energy drink). But I'll only consume them if I needed to. Most of the time, I'll just take my pre-workout drink before I head over to the gym.

So, I hope this to some extent will help to clear up the confusion that some of you might have on what is a protein bar and what is an energy bar.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Good. I get confuse about this matter all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that it helped to clarify....

    ReplyDelete